Medication Therapy Management
If you or a loved one is concerned about the medications you are currently taking, Lake Region Healthcare's Medication Therapy Management service can help.
What is medication therapy management?
Medication Therapy Management (MTM) provided by your pharmacist can help you avoid drug interactions, unwanted side effects and prevent hospital admissions. These private appointments provide a full review of all of your medications (prescription, over-the-counter, herbals and vitamins) to make sure your current drug therapy is both safe and effective. Any questions that you may have about your medications can be answered during this time. These meetings may take 30 minutes or longer. You are welcome to have a caregiver, or someone who is a part of your medication routine, accompany you.
Why is MTM important for me?
Managing your health can be more difficult if you are taking multiple medications. Visiting with a pharmacist trained in MTM can help you answer questions like these:
- Why am I taking these medications?
- Are my medications working the way they should?
- Can I do anything about the side effects?
- Am I taking them in the right order and at the right time of day?
- Are my medications interacting with each other?
- Are all of my medications really making me feel better?
- How are my medications affecting my blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar?
Your MTM Pharmacist will review your health status and treatment plan. This will help your pharmacist make sure that:
- You are taking only the medications you need.
- You are taking the correct amount of medicine at the right time.
- Your medications are not interacting with each other.
- Any vitamins, supplements or over-the-counter drugs you are taking are safe and effective.
- You are not spending more than you need to for your medications.
Who can schedule an appointment?
MTM is available to anyone who is concerned about their own or a loved ones' medication use.
Can I afford MTM service?
MTM is an affordable service available to everyone. Certain health benefit plans provide this service at no charge. MTM is a covered service under Medicare and Minnesota Medicaid. Please speak with one of our pharmacists or contact your insurance provider for more information about cost.
Where can I meet with a pharmacist for this service?
Lake Region Healthcare offers multiple ways to meet with a pharmacist.
- One can set up an appointment with a pharmacist in the clinic.
- If you live within 10 miles of Fergus Falls or an assisted living facility in Otter Tail or Grant Counties, you may meet with a pharmacist in your home.
- If you live near Elbow Lake, ask about our tele-pharmacy services which allows you to meet with a pharmacist located in Fergus Falls without having to make the commute.
This information is provided in cooperation with the NASPA and the Minnesota Pharmacists Association. This document was supported, in part, by a CS/SD grant from Department of Human Services (DHS). Points of view or opinions do not necessarily represent official DHS policy.
Our MTM Pharmacy Team
- Todd A. Johnson, PharmD.
- Mark Dewey, PharmD, CGP, FASCP.
- Renae Lien, PharmD.
- Kayla Duberowski, PharmD, AE-C.
- Kayla Vigen, PharmD.
- Stephanie Hacker, PharmD.
- Sarah Taylor, PharmD.
Back to top